Friday, June 25, 2010

June 24, Warning

Warning Mountain Lion sign
© Susannah Storch 2010

What a lucky gal I am! Rob took me mountain bike riding at my favorite spot last night, Hall Ranch in Lyons, Colorado. Once you get up and over the initial (and never-ending) uphill, you enter the most beautiful lush green valley area. It was only my fourth time mountain biking, and I just love it. Physically, it is really hard for me. The uphill makes my lungs feel like they are bleeding. The downhill requires all of my concentration and hand strength (since I am gripping my brakes for life). But it feels so good. And I was even luckier yesterday since Rob agreed to go in the 90+ degree heat, which I just thrive off of. I love the burning sensation of sweat in my eyes. I love feeling like I should melt into the earth. There is one thing that I don't love about this sport: mountain biking means mountain lions. Of course we didn't see any, but because Rob zooms so far ahead of me on the downhill, I am alone for much of the return. And I think about how pretty everything looks, how to not fall off my bike, and whether any cougars are waiting to pounce. Can't wait to go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment