Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 30, Pere Lachaise

postcards of pere lachaise
© Susannah Storch 2010

I received cette carte postale in the mail today from France. My friend/fellow SMCM art major/awesome designer Melissa Dean was living there for several months, and I assigned her to visit Pere Lachaise Cemetery as part of her Vicarious Experience Project (check it out here and here). While many famous people are buried in this old cemetery (Frederic Chopin, Sarah Bernhardt, Delacroix, Max Ernst), Jim Morrison may be the most famous "resident," which is why he pops up on the card.

1 comment:

  1. "Since the pigs came to guard your grave,
    I'll drink my wine elsewhere,
    but to you, Je t'aime"

    I found this note handwritten and secured with stones on Jim Morrison's gravesite when I visited Pere Lachaise. Remember the old graffiti colored bust, that iconic image of rock and roll and death? Well, since the locals came to drink and mourn and be merry at his gravesite every night, the gendarmes got fed up, removed the bust, replaced it with a plain headstone, and planted 24 hour guards on duty.

    ReplyDelete