Saturday, January 30, 2010

January 30, Golden West Milling Co

abandoned building
© Susannah Storch 2010

I ran around Longmont this morning, visiting some stores that I've been meaning to get to: Serendipity (a vintage/antique store), the Cheese Importers (great cheeses, sandwiches, and dishes), Home Depot...At any rate, I drove down a street I haven't been on before, and came across this abandoned building.

The Golden West Milling Company was started by two "Charleys", Charles A. Johnson and Charles A. Miller, around the turn of the previous century. Both guys hailed from Sweden, and upon meeting, became business partners until their deaths in 1955. The city of Longmont was considering moving a museum there, but then two teens decided to light the place on fire last year.

1 comment:

  1. Great shot Storch! Also, I really appreciate that you found the story. That really adds something special!

    ReplyDelete