Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 14, Tomato

photo of a young tomato plant
© 2010 Susannah Storch

We're building a vegetable garden, and it looks like I might have tomatoes before October this year! For whatever reason (arid climate is my best guess), people in Colorado like their pea gravel. Instead of green garden beds, they fill in areas with small gray rocks. Ugly. Rob and I are slowly reclaiming the land in our backyard. Last year we removed the back strip and put in a xeriscape garden that is doing pretty well (plus I've learned to identify a lot of native flowers). This year we are removing a side strip, and will fill it with tons of dirt, till, and, voila! Tomatoes! In the past I have tried growing them in pots, but they never yield any fruit until October or November, and tasty they are not.

1 comment:

  1. May you be blessed with an abundance of delicious tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete