Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 15, Pimlico and Crawfish

a man watches a Pimlico horse race at a crawfish boil
© 2010 Susannah Storch

What a great weekend! On Saturday I headed to a friend's for their annual crawfish boil. She and her fiancee are from Louisiana, and once a year they ship in pounds and pounds and pounds of live crawfish, and boil them in batches with garlic, potatoes, and artichokes. It reminds me a bit of a crab feast (picnic tables and all), except you stand while you eat.

Coincidently, yesterday was also Preakness. So, we also got to bet on horses like Jackson Bend, Schoolyard Dreams, Love's Blush, and Baltimore Bob. I picked Wins and Shows, and lost. Watching horse racing is way more fun while betting, eating crawfish, and drinking beer with lots of friends. Possibly more fun that way than attending the actual event--my guy friends seemed to leave Preakness with black eyes and strange women, and my girlfriends told me of sketchy bathroom scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment